Tuesday 23 October 2012

At just 11.5 months old should we have goals for our daughter who has Downs Syndrome.



At just 11.5 months old should we have goals for our daughter who has Downs Syndrome.

Yes we believe we should, we feel its even more important for Lani to be pushed (in the right direction and in the right way). Having DS means she will develop slower than other kids so we need to start early and develop her in a proactive way. A lot of the development we do is through play so Lani does not even realise she is working (apart from the daily sit-ups I make her do – she thinks they are tiresome) 

Lee and I like to have goals not only for us but also Lani, we have short term, medium term and long term goals. We believe its good to have an aim in life and something to strive towards and then celebrate once a goal is achieved. 

So what are our goals for Lani?? 

Short term...

Cruising along the furniture, pulling to stand, picking something up with a pincer grip, picking up a toy from the side of her whilst sitting, suck from a straw.

Medium term...

Say mummy, take a step on her own, acknowledge the word “NO”, hold her own feeding bottle, use a spoon to eat with, use a makaton sign.

Long term

Speak clearly, use makaton, walk, feed herself with food and drink, understand “NO” and stop what she is doing.

Blog diary

23rd October 2012

Morning

I took Lani shopping at 8am.... then went to collect a package from our sorting office which is like 100 miles away!! (a little over exaggeration lol its only about 10miles). Then off to opportunities Group, I didn’t take Lani into the sensory room today as all the kids decided to play in there so we spent time mucking about in the room with all of the toys. The ladies spent good quality time with her today and when they do I tend to back off a little so Lani can’t see me (I tend to sit behind her) I do this so she gets used to thinking I am not always there and she is ok and safe with other people. Good session today.

Afternoon

Our paediatrician’s called today and we are going in to see her on Thursday to show her the films of Lanis little turns and hopefully put our minds at rest and tell us its all ok. I have to admit I am beyond worried, I know she is only displaying some signs but she is my world. I just want this to be me being over cautious, that’s fine by me.
I have been working all afternoon and trying to keep an eye on Lani... its tuff, my work always suffers but Lani hopefully does not even notice that I am working as what seems like every two seconds I am giving her a new toy or showing her how to do something in hope I get just 2 minutes to myself. 

Evening

My Bff called and so I am feeling better for having talked to her, my friend knows me so well she is truly the best friend I have ever had. I am going now to put Lani to bed, fingers crossed she sleeps tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Love you hunni xxx you dont realise how proud i am of you all xxx

    ReplyDelete